Unlike other dating sites that help you find love, eHarmony dedicates itself to helping you build a long-lasting relationship that ends up in marriage. eHarmony claims to be responsible for more than 600,000 weddings around the world. That is due to a complex matching model that finds you someone compatible with your personality.
How does the matchmaking system know who to match you with online? When you sign up to eHarmony (using your email address or your Facebook account), the system prompts you to fill out a questionnaire. Later, you can add more details and answer more questions to make your profile complete.
While the sign-up process may take longer than expected, the information you provide will help build a personality profile that eliminates a majority of the people not suited to you. Eventually, you will only have a shortlist of prospects to choose from to get a partner.
- Sign up using your email address (with no email verification required) or with your Facebook account. The signup process takes about 10 minutes since you have to answer a range of compatibility quizzes.
- Add people to your favourite list, see profiles of those you are compatible with, send winks for free and send messages to those on your list. Anyhow, you need a premium account to get full access to the site’s features.
- A compatibility tab shows how well you match based on emotional and physical intimacy, social and religious values, and other qualities such as extraversion, intellect, athleticism and romance.
- Create a detailed profile and ability to change or update the profile any time.
- Premium members can view profiles that match theirs.
- Free to download the app for iOS and Android. The app has all the desktop site features, minimal ads and an intuitive interface.
- As a premium member, you enjoy unlimited messaging, anonymous browsing, seeing profile views and getting preferable matches.
- Fulfil payments through credit card or PayPal.
- Premium Light for 6 Months at 41.93 AUD / Month
- Premium Plus for 12 Months at 31.41 AUD / Month
- Premium Extra for 24 Months at 24.28 AUD / Month
Ease of Use
The registration process on eHarmony is time-consuming but straightforward. During the registration, the site collects all the essential information about you before you can browse for matches. You will have two sign-up options – through Facebook or email. Whichever option, you will have to fill up a questionnaire and answer a couple of personality questions.
Personality questions present you with situations and ask how you would react. You will also answer questions regarding your match preferences, including height, location, body size, among other characteristics. After that, you may choose to upload a profile photo or skip that step altogether.
Getting your match
On free membership, you can only see the list of proposed matches. If you have no prospective dates after creating an account, you will have to wait for new members who might match your personality. If you need more date suggestions, you need to upgrade to a premium account to find compatible matches. To get prospects outside your compatibility, utilise the primary search filter to narrow down the match list based on age and location.
eHarmony boasts of the probable relations they make. For the matching to be spot on, you need to provide as much information as possible which will reflect on your profile. On the “About Me” section, you will list your preferences, and your level of compatibility will appear there.
Contacting your matches
Once you have created your profile, you can now start conversing with your matches. To contact your would-be dates, you can only use the site’s messaging feature, which is only available on premium accounts. If you are on a free account, you can only send site-generated questions to your match. There are only five questions which give you limited choices.
On a free account, you also cannot reply to messages. All you can do is send smileys to add matches to your favourites list. Unlike other dating platforms, you cannot see members currently online or those who are active if you want to chitchat.
The design of the eHarmony app is consistent with the interface on the web version. In-app features are also similar to those on the web. With the app, you can make contact while on the go but cannot view profile photos without having a premium account. The interface is user friendly and has a minimalist design with minimal ads, making the app easy to use.
Unlike other dating sites that offer a monthly subscription, eHarmony offers long-term commitment subscriptions between six months and two years. The payment options include:
- Single Payment: Pay once for your current subscription and subsequent renewal.
- Two-Payment: Subscription amount and subsequent payments are paid in two instalments.
- Three-Payment: Subscription amount and subsequent payments are paid in three instalments.
Pros and Cons
- eHarmony is ideal for people who are looking for serious relationships that will ultimately lead to marriage.
- The elaborate matching model checks different characters of your matches, eliminating nearly all people who don’t suit you.
- There are 29 key dimensions to create your profile and give you a perfect match.
- Saves you time by giving you a shortlist of matches, so you do not have to go through hundreds of profiles.
- eHarmony’s mobile app and web version have a simple interface for ease of use.
- You are only allowed to interact with people that eHarmony presents to you when using a free account.
- The site is more expensive than other dating sites.
- The registration process is lengthy, which can be nervewracking.
The Bottom Line
If you are looking for a long term relationship or a partner to marry, eHarmony might be the best option for you. There are no flashy features, but its basic features are great for communication. Some unique features include a small smiley icon that you can send to your matches to start a conversation. You are also allowed to send questions to initiate conversation.
With eHarmony, you get in-depth knowledge of your expected date. So many people have shared their good experiences on eHarmony with most preferring the matchmaking features. Every day, new profiles enter your matches list, and you can browse through them to see the compatibility percentage. If you run into a problem while using the dating site, you can check their Help or Support page.