Plenty of Fish (POF) is a free dating site that has been around since 2003. POF has been through all the technological advancements that dating sites have gone through to become what they are today. It is one of the pioneer dating websites, and it is safe to say that it has a bit of everything.
The dating site has over 100 million subscribers spread over Australia, Unites States, Canada and the UK. This platform doubles up as a dating site and a match-making site. The website records over 50,000 new sign-ups and up to 3.6 million log-ins every day.
- UltraMatch: The UltraMatch is a collection of quizzes in use to predict your personality and find the person you match with best.
- Chemistry Predictor: The chemistry predictor is one of the most notable quizzes. The quiz predicts how compatible you would be with one of your interests on the site.
- Meet Me: POF allows you to upload up to 16 photos. You can check out anyone’s pictures and decide whether you would love to meet them through the “Meet Me” feature. The meet me feature presents you “Yes” or “No” options when a photo is displayed. You click “Yes” if you’d love to meet the person based on the picture and “No” if you would not want to.
- Nearby: You will be shown the people you match with and those that are near you so that you can go ahead and plan a meetup. If you are not comfortable planning a meeting by yourself, you can take advantage of offline singles events organised by Plenty of Fish.
- Super Yes: This feature allows you to see how much someone is into you based on their data. The feature shows you the people who are into you most.
- Today’s Catch: This feature highlights your profile on the site so that it is more visible. You use purchased tokens to get a highlight on Today’s Catch.
- Tokens: Tokens are what you use to get special privileges. You buy the token and then spend them on features such as “Super Yes” and “Today’s Catch”.
- Subscribe for 2 Months at 25.00 AUD / Month
- Subscribe for 4 Months at 18.75 AUD / Month
- Subscribe for 8 Months at 15.00 AUD / Month
Ease of Use
Plenty of Fish is a user-intuitive site, making it easy for you to navigate around. Each button is at easy-reach, and everything is labelled correctly to ensure there’s no confusion. The sign-up process of POF is a bit longer and detailed as compared to that on other dating sites. That’s because of the personality and chemistry quizzes.
We mentioned earlier that Plenty of Fish is a free dating site. That means you don’t have to pay for signing-up, browsing singles, filling quizzes and messaging other subscribers. However, since there are millions of singles on the site, you will need to stand out. It will cost you to get yourself more attention and increase your chances of connecting with someone.
If you decide to pay for premium services, all the ads will vanish from your screen. The screen will have less clutter and give you a better view. The platform is particularly quite exciting to use when it does not have the ads. Your pages will load up faster when the ads are no more. A premium subscription also comes with exciting extras such as read receipts and the ability to send and receive online gifts.
App and web platforms
The app has an attractive layout and real-time notifications. The notifications will ensure you never miss any messages or essential updates. If you have to choose between the desktop or mobile platform, we would advise that you go for the app. The app platform is much simpler to navigate and has less clutter. It also has all the functionalities that are on the desktop platform.
Communication channels on the app are easy to use and smooth. You get to utilise an intuitive inbox that is simple to browse through. You can message anyone that you’ve matched with through the personality profile or the chemistry predictor quiz. Moreover, you can message anyone who has set their inbox to “will respond”. The app also allows you to message new users.
Seamless profile creation
In this era of social media, most sites will draw data from your social media accounts while trying to profile you. Plenty of Fish has an integration with Facebook and Instagram. The combination makes it easy for you to upload photos. None of the data on your POF profile is from your social media profiles.
Editing your profile is quite simple. You can do it from either the desktop or application. Go to “Edit Profile”, and all the appropriate editing options will appear. You can edit any of your information from there. Click “Update Registration” at the bottom of the page to save your updates.
Contact and security
POF has the latest online security protocols. You can rest assured that the site has taken all the necessary precautions to protect your privacy. These security protocols might, at times, make the sign-up process a bit difficult, especially if there is some abnormal activity from your end. You might have to go through the anti-robot verification process before you are allowed to get on board.
Last but not least, there is a FAQ section on the site that responds to most of the commonly raised issues. The answered FAQs help many users troubleshoot the problems they might have themselves. If you must reach someone, you need to fill out the “Contact Us” form.
Pros and Cons
- The main features of the site are available free of charge.
- POF has a massive pool of singles to choose from
- Match-making relies on a detailed algorithm, and there’s no human interference.
- You can control who messages you. That helps you ensure you avoid spamming.
- Communicate with members through live video.
- Both the desktop and app platforms are very user-intuitive.
- You have to pay for upgrades to enjoy the full functionality of the site.
- There is no direct way to contact customer care: no email, chatbox or phone number.
- Disappointingly, there is no way to upload videos.
The Bottom Line
Plenty of Fish has everything you need on a modern-day dating site. The platform has lots of eligible singles and offers you plenty of chances to land a date. It is a dating site you should try out if you are seeking a serious relationship. The website has all the essential safety features and has taken every necessary precaution to ensure all members are genuine.
The sorting and match-making abilities of POF are quite superior. Its application and website are designed with the end-user in mind. Plenty of Fish is for all kinds of people, regardless of their age or social status. It gives you total control over who you converse with online.